The Action Alliance against HIV/Aids
is an association of various NGOs which calls for a greater Austrian involvement
in the global fight against HIV/Aids.
We cannot accept:
• how the basic human right to life and health is denied and has
become an issue of poverty and wealth;
• that millions of people suffering from HIV/Aids die and daily
thousands more are infected;
• that the financial funds necessary to implement prevention and
treatment measures are lacking;
• how HIV positive people are excluded and stigmatised.
Therefore we support the United Nations (UN-AIDS) appeal “Live and
We wish to support the people of the poor countries of this world to
make for them the basic human right of health care possible – this
includes prevention and the appropriate treatment of HIV/Aids.
With this joint campaign the Austrian Action Alliance against HIV/Aids
aims to achieve:
• that the right to health and best possible medical treatment for
children, women and men, regardless of the family income, is made possible.
• that, through educational and political awareness training, the
number of new infections with the HIV virus will drop drastically.
• that both nationally and internationally sufficient financial
aid is available to take the necessary preventative, care and treatment
measures for HIV/Aids patients.
• that HIV positive people are not stigmatised and socially isolated.
Therefore we support the United Nations (UNAIDS) appeal “Live and
We, the NGOs joined together in the Action Alliance against HIV/Aids,
demand from the Austrian Government:
• an adequate allocation of additionalo financial aid for effective
prevention programmes and the humane treatment of the affected. *
• multilateral lobbying for worldwide unlimited access to vital,
indispensable medicines for people of the poorest countries.
• to respect the “Doha Declaration” of the World Trade
Organisation WTO, and to advocate in WTO negotiations for the provision
of generics for all HIV/Aids infected people.
• a determined support of substantial debt reduction for poorer,
highly indebted countries, so that funds are available there for the prevention
and treatment of HIV/Aids.
We demand from the pharmaceutical industry:
• production-cost delivery of indispensable medicines vital for
the treatment of HIV/Aids positive people in economically poorer countries.
• that no pressure be used in the interest of profit maximization
which results in poorer countries foregoing their rights guaranteed under
the TRIPS Agreement (WTO accord for the protection of intellectual property)
to use generics for treatment.
* Note: Austria is the only OECD member (Organisation
for Economic Co-operation and Development) which does not contribute to
the “Global Fund Against AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria”.
Österreiches Aktionsbündnis gegen HIV/Aids
c/o Kindernothilfe Österreich
Telefon: 01/ 513 93 30
Fax: 01/ 513 93 30-90